Louisiana Sportbikes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil syn vs natural

3 posters

Go down

Oil syn vs natural Empty Oil syn vs natural

Post  StarScream954 Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 am

Ight ppl I bought my baby n march n I've personally put bout 1500 on it n I'm sure it time for a oilchange.should I go full syn or the regular ?is there a difference performance wise if so wat brand? im personally thinkin royal purple
StarScream954
StarScream954
Test Drive

Back to top Go down

Oil syn vs natural Empty Re: Oil syn vs natural

Post  jordan777er Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:03 am

Honestly, Royal Purple is a waste unless you're racing the bike. For your average street rider, off the shelf conventional or synthetic is enough. Personally, I use Castrol Motorcycle oil with a Mobil 1 filter. Many swear by Amsoil and Rotella though. As far as mileage is concerned, if the motor is broken in, you can switch to whatever you want.
jordan777er
jordan777er
Test Drive

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 am

I use synthetic just because you can go a little longer between changes. I don't usually take advantage of it but I like to know that I can if the need arises. Really, as long as you put a quality oil in there and change at the recommended time or mileage, you shouldn't have any problems. I have been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in everything I've owned since I was 16 and never had an issue or a break down that could be attributed to the oil. I've seen some hard core studies done on all the leading brands and Amsoil and Mobil 1 4T were in the number 1 and 2 spots. I couldn't find the Mobil 1 locally for this last oil change so I went with the Amsoil, it's expensive but it's doing its job.

I used to have a 1995 Mazda MX-6 that leaked oil like a sieve. About a quart a month, but I got it for stupid cheap and it was just a commuter car. I worked offshore and used it to drive back and forth to job sites. It had 125k miles on it when I bought it and I changed the oil 3 times in 5 years and that was really only to replace the filter. Because I was adding a fresh quart every month the oil never really got that dirty. It had just shy off 300k on it when I sold it for scrap. My wife had blown the head gasket a year prior due to a leak in a radiator hose that overheated the engine and warped the block. Even still it went another 50k and was still running when I scrapped it. The leak in the head gasket just kept growing to where the car was running so poorly it wasn't worth driving anymore.
Zero
Zero
Admin

https://lasportbikes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan777er Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:33 pm

^ I also use Mobil 1, but I switch back and forth between Mobil 1 synthetic and Castrol synthetic due to availability issues. Both are great oils. I don't care for the Rotella though because its an all purpose oil, it isn't specifically for bikes.
jordan777er
jordan777er
Test Drive

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

This is a really good comparison of motorcycle specific oils published by Amsoil. The tests were performed by an independent lab so should be legit.

LINK
Zero
Zero
Admin

https://lasportbikes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum