Louisiana Sportbikes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help

2 posters

Go down

Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help Empty Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help

Post  Zero Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

So, the 04-05 R1's have an issue with the headlight harnesses so I've read. The previous owner destroyed the original headlamp harness so I replaced it with a new one. Initially, that solved my problem but shortly after that the headlamps went out and wouldn't work. I tracked it down to a bad ground (the yellow/black wire) going into the headlamp harness. So I moved the ground to the frame and the lights came back on. However, now I am blowing the headlamp fuse and if I jump the fuse it will blow the turn signal fuse. So, for the short term I jumped them both and the lights are all staying on and I haven't melted anything so far. The only reason I did it this way was cause the fuse blowing issue was only happening when I would hit a big bump or pot hole.

The previous owner hacked the main engine harness up pretty bad so I've had to go through and solder/heat shrink tube a lot of spots. My best guess is that there is an exposed wire somewhere under the airbox as that is the only place I've yet to get too, but I'd like to know if anyone has any advice or has had a similar issue.
Zero
Zero
Admin

https://lasportbikes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help Empty Re: Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help

Post  Sloopy70 Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm

When you mentioned fuses blowing when you hit bumps that's almost got to be a shorting problem somewhere... Is it always the same fuse that blows ? If so look up a wiring diagram and it will help you find the bad wire quicker than testing EVERY wire...
Sloopy70
Sloopy70
Test Drive

Back to top Go down

Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help Empty Re: Wiring issue blowing headlamp fuses. Need help

Post  Zero Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm going to pull the airbox tomorrow or friday if I have time and see what I can find. The tail light harness needs some work as well but I don't see anywhere that it could be shorting out. I'm almost to the point where I think it would be a lot less headache to just replace the main harness. I'm scared to look under the airbox. I know its going to look like someone dropped a grenade under there. lol
Zero
Zero
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloopy70 Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, Convenience wise it would be the easiest solution... Monetarily probably not such a good idea... I have no idea what a NEW wiring harness would cost, but I doubt its cheap...
Sloopy70
Sloopy70
Test Drive

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 am

I've seen a few used ones on eBay from 70 bucks to 250. So if you can find the right deal, the price isn't too horrible but I'm definitely a fix it first guy. If it can be fixed, I'll usually find a way. Electrical issues were never my strong suit though. I'll post up some pics when I get it pulled apart, hopefully tomorrow.
Zero
Zero
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum